We’re offsetting carbon produced by the cars we insure, at no extra cost.
We want our drivers to feel protected on the road while having a positive impact on the environment. That’s why we’re offsetting 100% of the carbon emissions produced by all new and existing car customers for one year.
What is carbon offsetting?
Carbon offsetting is a way to balance the environmental impact of CO2 emissions produced through different processes, in this case driving, by compensating for it elsewhere.
It will form a key part of our climate strategy as we partner with organisations leading environmental projects across wind, solar, hydro and tree planting.
Use our handy calculator to find out how much CO2 your car produces in a year.
Your produces grams of CO2 per kilometre driven.
After of driving this adds up to metric tonnes of CO2.
Here's what metric tonnes of CO2 looks like compared to the size of an average saloon car:
Ready to make a change that matters?
Note for existing AXA car insurance customers - you don't need to do anything, your car's CO2 emissions will be offset when you renew your policy. Please see the terms and conditions for details.
Your produces zero emissions.
Did you know? If your car is an electric vehicle (EV) or a plug-in, hybrid vehicle (PHEV) model we will pay up to €650 for accidental damage to your wall charger, provided it isn’t already covered under your home insurance.
Sorry, but we were unable to fetch the emissions data for your .
Sorry, but we were unable to fetch any data about your car. Please check that you've entered the correct registration number.
Note: if you've entered the registration number of a new car, its technical details may not yet be available to us.
We’re planting the seeds of change today, for tomorrow
When it comes to the global effort against climate change, the action we take at a local level matters.
Today, less than 2% of Ireland is covered by native woodland and we’re proud to partner with the Nature Trust to deliver native woodlands at scale across Ireland.
As well as having a positive impact on the environment, the creation of new woodlands will provide important animal habitats and create public spaces we can all enjoy for years to come.
Reducing carbon emissions by replenishing native woodland
Across 11 locations
Of native woodland
Forests that last into perpetuity
Provided by us
Funding climate projects around the world
Together with our partners at Ecologi, we will fund carbon offsetting projects around the world.
These will include producing energy from landfill gas in Turkey, converting gas into clean energy in Brazil, wind energy project in Bulgaria, reducing emissions through sustainable composting in Vietnam and more. As well as driving climate action, many of these projects also contribute positively to local communities.
Ecologi supports a range of carbon reduction projects certified at the very highest level by Gold Standard and equivalent, giving you the confidence that your contribution will make the biggest possible impact.
- How it works
- The annual CO2 offset amount will be calculated based on the vehicle and annual kilometres driving information provided by the policyholder at the start date or renewal date of the policy. Mid-term changes to the vehicle and/or driving use will not be used for the calculation of carbon offset.
- AXA will purchase CO2 offsets to cover the emissions produced by your car's usage, up to a maximum of 50,000km per year.
- In the event AXA are unable to accurately calculate the CO2 emissions for your vehicle, AXA will purchase offsets equal to the average annual CO2 emissions of a private car.
- This cover is included as a standard feature of your car insurance policy for this period of insurance.
- Who is eligible
- AXA will buy carbon offsets on behalf of all AXA Insurance dac (AXA Ireland) private car customers who;
- Renew their car insurance on or after 01/09/2021
- Buy a new car policy on or after 01/09/2021
- Carbon credits will only be purchased for policies which remain in force for a minimum period of 90 days. During this time, MyAXA users will see the carbon offset amount as 'pending'.
- AXA will partner with The Nature Trust who will use funds we provide to plant 600,000 native trees in Ireland. This will create new Irish forests across 11 different locations that will capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and provide public access to green spaces for future generations.
- In addition, AXA will purchase carbon credits from Ecologi that will reduce the carbon produced. All of the carbon credits we purchase are verified by Gold Standard or the Verified Carbon Standard.
- How does AXA calculate carbon offset? The annual CO2 emissions figure is calculated by multiplying the annual number of kilometres/miles driven (as declared on your insurance policy) by the official CO2 emissions output (g/km) for your vehicle make and model. The CO2 emissions data is provided by Verisk. For example, a 2019 Toyota Corolla (1.8VVT-I Hybrid) has a CO2 emission of 110g per kilometre. If this were your car and you drive 10,000 kilometres each year, your car would produce 1,100kg or 1.1 metrics tonnes of carbon annually. We will then buy ‘carbon credits’ equivalent to 1.1 tonnes of carbon to offset your emissions.
Producing renewable wind energy in Bulgaria
Generating electricity from wind power is one of the most recognised methods for producing renewable energy. Read more about the S...
Generating electricity from landfill gas in Brazil
Rather than being released as emissions, methane from landfills can be captured and used to produce electricity. Read about one su...
Producing energy from landfill gas in Turkey
The Kocaeli Landfill Gas to Electricity Project, an initiative we’re delighted to help fund as part of our partnership with Ecolog...
Carbon Neutral Car Insurance
Moving to electric cars will be a critical part of the long-term response to the climate crisis and in AXA we are delighted to sup...